If you’re looking for the best evergreen shrubs to keep your garden looking lively all year long, look no further. These shrubs are perfect for adding color and texture to your landscape, no matter the season. From the vibrant purple foliage of the Barberry ‘Royal Grande’ to the flowering beauty of the Japanese Pieris ‘Valley Fire’, there is a shrub for every taste and preference.
One popular choice is the Wintercreeper ‘Emerald Gaiety’, which is both deer resistant and tolerant of a wide range of soils. For a splash of color in the winter months, the Ilex latifolia ‘Dandy Ornaments’ are a perfect choice, with their bright red berries and evergreen foliage. The Austin Hydrangea ‘Funshine’ is another great option, especially for those with acidic soils.
If you’re looking for a shrub that can withstand both wind and salt spray, the Indian Hawthorn ‘Snow White’ is a reliable choice. Similarly, the Columnar Yew ‘Hick’sii’ is ideal for narrow spaces, as it grows tall and slender. For those looking to attract birds, the Evergreen Viburnum ‘Burning Bush’ is a popular choice, thanks to its vibrant red berries.
Whether you’re planting shrubs for a specific purpose or simply want to add some evergreen beauty to your garden, this list has got you covered. These 23 best evergreen shrubs are sure to bring year-round interest to any landscape.
14 Best Evergreen Shrubs for Lovely Landscaping
If you’re looking to add beauty and greenery to your garden throughout the year, evergreen shrubs are a steady choice. These shrubs provide year-round interest, with their vibrant foliage, lovely flowers, and unique shapes. Whether you need a privacy fence or a garden border, these shrubs will enhance your landscaping and provide a beautiful backdrop for other plants and flowers.
One of the best evergreen shrubs for landscaping is the Gardenia jasminoides ‘Frostproof’. This compact shrub features glossy green leaves and fragrant white flowers that bloom in the spring. It can grow in a variety of soil types and is even drought-tolerant once established. The ‘Frostproof’ gardenia is a real talker, and its beauty is sure to make it a standout in your garden.
Another great choice is the compacta hawthorn. This shrub has beautiful dark green foliage and white flowers that bloom in the spring. It is a dwarf variety, making it perfect for smaller gardens or when you need a low-maintenance plant. The compacta hawthorn is easy to grow and can tolerate a variety of soil conditions.
If you’re looking for a shrub that provides both beauty and protection, consider the dwarf waxwing laurel. This evergreen shrub has dense green foliage and produces bright red berries in the fall. The waxwing laurel is a versatile plant that can be used in borders or as a privacy screen. It thrives in a variety of soil types and is low-maintenance. It also attracts birds to your garden.
The Chinensis azaleas are another great choice for lovely landscaping. These shrubs feature beautiful flowers in a variety of colors, including pink, white, and lavender. They bloom in the spring and add a splash of color to your garden. The Chinensis azaleas are easy to grow and can tolerate a variety of soil conditions. They also make great additions to plantings near foundations or under trees.
For a unique and eye-catching shrub, consider the Pieris japonica ‘Tator Tot’. This dwarf shrub has compact, rounded growth and variegated foliage. In the spring, it produces white or pink flowers that resemble lily of the valley. The ‘Tator Tot’ pieris is ideal for smaller gardens or as a focal point in larger landscapes. It can tolerate a variety of soil conditions and is low-maintenance.
If you’re looking for a shrub that adds color in the winter, the false heath is a great choice. This evergreen shrub has green foliage year-round and produces clusters of white or pink flowers in the winter. It adds a burst of color to your garden when everything else is dormant. The false heath thrives in a variety of soil types and is drought-tolerant once established.
When it comes to lovely landscaping, the yew tree is a classic choice. This evergreen shrub has dense, dark green foliage that stays vibrant all year. It can be pruned into a variety of shapes and sizes, making it a versatile addition to any garden. The yew tree is low-maintenance and tolerant of a variety of soil conditions. It also provides year-round privacy and protection.
Whether you need year-round color, foliage, or privacy, these 14 best evergreen shrubs will improve your landscaping and provide a lovely backdrop for your garden. Choose the varieties that best suit your needs and enjoy their beauty in all seasons.
When landscaping your garden, it’s important to choose evergreen shrubs that can serve as a focal point or be mass planted to give your yard a variety of textures and colors year-round. Some popular options include:
- Abelia: This evergreen shrub has a compact habit and produces small white flowers in the spring. It’s suitable for formal gardens and is frost and drought tolerant.
- Boxwood: This broad leaf evergreen has many different varieties, including the popular dwarf English Boxwood (Buxus sempervirens ‘Suffruticosa’) and the Japanese Boxwood (Buxus microphylla var. japonica). They are suitable for formal gardens and can be trimmed into different shapes.
- Gardenias: These evergreen shrubs are known for their fragrant flowers and glossy green foliage. They are suitable for formal gardens and can be grown in containers or planted in the ground.
Additionally, there are evergreen shrubs that are suitable for different climates and conditions:
- Rhododendrons: Rhododendrons are popular evergreen shrubs, with over 700 varieties available. They are suitable for partially shaded areas and will add a burst of color when they bloom in the spring. They are also a great resource for pollinators.
- Juniperus: Juniperus shrubs are known for their branching and spreading habit. They are suitable for full sun and are frost and drought tolerant.
- Viburnum: There are several evergreen Viburnum shrubs to choose from, including Viburnum tinus ‘Globosum’ and Viburnum sinensis. They are suitable for formal gardens and will add a pop of color to your landscape.
Remember to consider the specific needs of each shrub, such as sunlight requirements and soil type. By choosing the right evergreen shrubs for your garden, you will have a beautiful and vibrant landscape all year round.
23 Best Evergreen Shrubs To Grow for Year-Round Interest
If you are looking for shrubs that will provide year-round interest in your garden, then you’re in luck! There are plenty of evergreen shrubs that will keep your garden looking beautiful no matter the season. Here are 23 of the best evergreen shrubs to consider:
- Euonymus fortunei ‘Emerald ‘n’ Gold’: This shrub features green and gold variegated leaves and can be grown in a variety of conditions.
- Juniperus virginiana ‘Blue Arrow™’: This tall and slender shrub has blue-green foliage and is a great choice for windbreaks and privacy screens.
- Ilex crenata ‘Sky Pencil’: This narrow and upright shrub is perfect for adding vertical interest to your garden and can be used as a stylish alternative to traditional boxwood.
- Euonymus japonicus ‘Green Rocket’: This evergreen shrub has glossy dark green leaves and is great for hedges and foundation plantings.
- Juniperus sabina ‘Tamariscifolia’: This shrub has a low spreading habit and features beautiful blue-green foliage.
- Nerium oleander ‘Dwarf Red’: This compact shrub produces vibrant red flowers and is perfect for adding a pop of color to your garden.
- Chamaecyparis obtusa ‘Nana Gracilis’: This dwarf hinoki cypress offers a unique texture and is a great choice for rock gardens and small spaces.
- Euonymus fortunei ‘Emerald Gaiety’: This small shrub has green and white variegated leaves and is perfect for adding interest to borders and containers.
- Juniperus chinensis ‘Blue Point’: This pyramidal juniper features blue-green foliage and is great for focal points in the garden.
- Pyracomeles grandiflora ‘Rosy Glow’: This compact shrub offers beautiful pink flowers and is perfect for smaller gardens.
- Euonymus fortunei ‘Kewensis’: This creeping shrub is great for groundcover and can tolerate a wide range of soil conditions.
- Juniperus horizontalis ‘Blue Chip’: This low-growing juniper has blue-green foliage and is perfect for erosion control on slopes.
- Euonymus kiautschovicus ‘Manhattan’: This spreading shrub has attractive green and gold variegated leaves and is great for cascading over walls or spilling out of containers.
- Juniperus scopulorum ‘Blue Arrow’: This narrow upright juniper is a great choice for tight spaces and can tolerate drought conditions.
- Ilex crenata ‘Steeds’: This dense and compact shrub is perfect for hedging and can tolerate urban conditions.
- Nandina domestica ‘Firepower’: This dwarf shrub offers bright red foliage and is perfect for adding a burst of color to your garden.
- Juniperus communis ‘Gold Cone’: This columnar juniper has bright gold foliage and is great for adding vertical interest to your garden.
- Euonymus fortunei ‘Moonshadow’: This variegated euonymus features green and gold leaves and is perfect for containers and borders.
- Juniperus squamata ‘Blue Star’: This low-growing juniper has blue-green foliage and is great for groundcover and rock gardens.
- Chamaecyparis pisifera ‘Golden Mop’: This bright golden shrub has a unique texture and is perfect for Japanese-inspired gardens.
- Juniperus procumbens ‘Nana’: This dwarf juniper has a prostrate habit and is great for cascading over walls or mixing in with other plantings.
- Euonymus fortunei ‘Emerald ‘n’ Gold’: This creeping euonymus features green and gold variegated leaves and is great for groundcover.
- Juniperus horizontalis ‘Wiltonii’: This low-growing juniper has beautiful blue foliage and is perfect for rock gardens and slopes.
- Mugo pine ‘Tortuga’: This dwarf pine offers a compact and spreading habit and is great for adding interest to borders and containers.
With these evergreen shrubs, you can create a beautiful and vibrant garden that will remain attractive throughout the year. Whether you’re looking for colorful foliage, unique textures, or reliable performers, there’s a shrub on this list that’s sure to suit your needs!
✿ Read More About Woody Shrubs.