When trailing the great outdoors, having a reliable and comfortable shelter is essential for any adventurer. Whether you are camping for a few days or planning a longer expedition, there are various types of survival shelters that can provide you with the protection and comfort you need.
From hip and contemporary designs to more traditional and practical structures, there is a survival shelter out there for every type of environment and personal preference. In this article, we will explore the 15 best designs and provide step-by-step instructions on how to build them.
If you’re looking to build your own survival shelter, there are several factors to consider. First and foremost, you’ll need to think about the size and space you have available. Next, you’ll want to take into account the weather conditions in the area where you’ll be building, as well as the length of time you will be staying.
One of the cheapest and easiest survival shelters to build is a simple lean-to. This structure can be made with just a few wooden poles and a tarp or waterproof material. It provides basic coverage from rain and wind and is perfect for those sunny days when you just need a bit of shade.
For a more modern and contemporary feel, you can build a lightweight and portable shelter using polycarbonate sheets. These transparent sheets allow natural light to enter the shelter and create a bright and open ambience. They are also waterproof and provide excellent protection from the elements.
If you’re looking for a larger and more permanent shelter, a ramada or pergola structure may be the best choice. These structures are designed to withstand the elements and can provide a comfortable alfresco space for outdoor living. They can be built with various materials, such as wood or metal, and can be customized to fit your specific needs and preferences.
So whether you’re a seasoned camper or just starting to explore the great outdoors, these survival shelter ideas will help you stay comfortable and protected in any environment. From simple and temporary structures to more sophisticated and permanent designs, there’s a shelter out there that’s just right for you.
Patio cover ideas – 15 ways to create shelter shade and privacy in the garden
When it comes to enjoying your outdoor space, whether it’s a windy country garden or a small patio in the city, having a comfortable and protected area is essential. We believe that the outdoors should be accessible and enjoyable in any weather, so we’ve gathered 15 creative ways to create shelter, shade, and privacy in your garden.
- Weatherproofing with plants: Utilize pergolas or trellises covered in climbing plants to create a natural and beautiful shade.
- Round doorways: Install a round door or archway where the most wind comes from to reduce its impact on your outdoor space.
- Barely-there covers: Opt for lightweight, almost invisible materials like sheer curtains or mesh screens for a subtle and modern way to block the sun.
- A-frame beds: Combine a sturdy frame with a waterproof cover to create a cozy and protected bed for lounging or outdoor naps.
- Quinzhee designs: Build a snow shelter or dome-inspired structure using a mix of snow and dirt for insulation.
- Rain cover: Install a waterproof cover or canopy above your patio furniture to protect yourself from the rain while enjoying the outdoors.
- Alfresco dining: Create a built-in table with a cover that can be extended for additional shade during mealtime.
- Outdoor kitchen: Incorporate a fully functional kitchen into your patio cover design, complete with grills, countertops, and storage space.
- Lighting features: Add decorative and functional lighting to your patio cover to define the space and provide ambiance during evening gatherings.
- The burrito hangout: Create a cozy and enclosed seating area by wrapping a pergola or trellis with outdoor curtains or fabric.
- Umbrella control: Use large umbrellas strategically placed to control the amount of shade in different areas of your garden.
- Grillscape renovations: Extend your patio cover to include a dedicated grilling space, complete with storage for all your BBQ essentials.
- The hut retreat: Design a small hut-style structure that provides both shade and privacy for a secluded outdoor reading or relaxation spot.
- Open-air dining: Create an open-air dining area with a partially covered patio, allowing you to enjoy the sun while dining al fresco.
- Throw-sized support: Hang large fabric throws or blankets from your patio cover for added shade and privacy.
- Wooden igloo: Build a round or oval-shaped wooden structure with a roof to keep yourself protected from the elements.
These 15 patio cover ideas provide different styles and features for creating shelter, shade, and privacy in your garden. Whether you’re looking to extend your living space, enjoy alfresco dining, or create a cozy outdoor retreat, there’s a patio cover design for every home and outdoor space.
PATIO COVER IDEAS
When it comes to creating a comfortable outdoor space, a patio cover can make all the difference. Not only does it provide shelter from the elements, but it also adds an extra touch of style and charm to your backyard. Whether you want a simple canopy or a more elaborate structure, there are plenty of patio cover ideas to choose from.
1. Roll-Up Covers: Roll-up covers are a popular choice for patios because they provide easy and adjustable coverage. They can be rolled down to create shade on hot days or rolled up to let the sun shine in. These covers can be made from a variety of materials, including fabric and tarp.
2. Venetian Covers: Venetian covers offer a unique and stylish look to any patio. They are made up of slats that can be adjusted to let in more or less light. This allows you to create the perfect amount of shade depending on the weather and your personal preferences.
3. Gable Covers: Gable covers are a great option if you want a more permanent and sturdy structure. These covers feature a sloping roof, similar to a house, which provides excellent weatherproofing. They can be attached to your home or stand alone as a separate shelter.
4. Ramada Covers: Ramada covers are a popular choice for those who want a rustic and natural feel. These covers are typically made from wood and feature an open design with a sturdy roof for protection. They can be attached to fencing or freestanding.
5. Trellis Covers: Trellis covers add a touch of elegance to any patio space. These covers are made from a lattice framework that supports climbing plants, creating a beautiful, green canopy. They provide partial shade and protection from the elements while adding a charming and natural aesthetic.
6. Seating Covers: Seating covers are perfect for those who want to create a cozy and intimate hangout area. These covers are attached to the side of your home or a wall and provide overhead protection for your seating area. They can be made from a variety of materials, including fabric and tarp.
7. Oval Covers: Oval covers offer a unique and eye-catching design for your patio. These covers are shaped like an oval and can be made from a variety of materials, including fabric and tarp. They provide excellent coverage and add a stylish touch to any outdoor space.
8. Fire Pit Covers: If you have a fire pit on your patio, a fire pit cover is a must-have. These covers are designed to protect your fire pit from the outdoor elements and keep it in good condition. They can be made from a variety of materials, including fabric and metal.
9. Hanging Covers: Hanging covers are a creative and unique way to create shade on your patio. These covers are hung from beams or other structures and provide overhead coverage. They can be made from a variety of materials, including fabric and tarp.
10. Shelter Cave Covers: If you want a secluded and private area in your backyard, a shelter cave cover is the way to go. These covers are made from fabric or tarp and create a cozy and intimate space. They can be set up on a base or attached to fencing or other structures.
11. Bespoke Covers: If you have a specific design in mind or want something truly custom, a bespoke cover is the way to go. These covers are made to your exact specifications and can be made from a variety of materials. They provide a unique and personalized touch to your patio.
12. Lighting Covers: Lighting covers combine practicality with style. These covers feature built-in lighting fixtures that provide both illumination and a decorative element. They can be attached to the side of your home or stand alone as a separate structure.
13. Downloadable Covers: If you prefer a DIY approach, downloadable cover plans are a great option. These plans provide step-by-step instructions and measurements for building your own patio cover. They can be customized to fit your space and design preferences.
14. Shade Sail Covers: Shade sail covers are a modern and versatile option for your patio. These covers are made from a durable fabric that is stretched tightly between anchor points. They provide excellent coverage and can be adjusted to create the perfect amount of shade.
15. Hanging Hammock Covers: If you have a hammock on your patio, a hanging hammock cover is a must-have. These covers are made from fabric or tarp and provide overhead coverage for your hammock. They can be attached to beams or other structures and offer protection from the outdoor elements.
With such a wide variety of patio cover ideas to choose from, you can find the perfect shelter for your outdoor space. Whether you want a simple canopy or a more elaborate structure, a patio cover can make your days outside even better. Don’t overlook the importance of a patio cover – it provides shade, protection, and adds style to your outdoor oasis.
✿ Read More: Gardening Tips and Advice.